02 July 2010

V-day

So I woke up very early this morning to the sound of faint crunching. Disoriented, I scanned the room trying to locate the source. Not the computer, thank goodness. Olive sometimes bites her nails but she was snoozing right next to me (aww). I made it over to the door, flipped on the light and it was Calvin. There he was, middle of the floor, polishing off what remained of a dead bird. What remained was a head, beak, intestines and a few feathers. As I watched, he crunched his way through the head and began licking the intestines. I decided that instead of getting grossed out I would take it as a good luck sacrifice by Calvin and just go back to sleep. After all, he did bring me a bird on my birthday last year.

It reminded me of the time in Louisville that I had a party and several partigoers ended up crashing on the floor of the living room. When I woke up in the morning I nearly trod on the body of a bird with its head placed neatly next to it. Its feet were also detached and arranged on the opposite side of the body. The sleeping forms of the partigoers were covered in bird feathers and their bedding was dotted by spots of blood from what i assumed were points of dead bird impact. A scene formed in my head of my 2 cats cheerfully tossing a dead bird around the living room over the sleeping bodies of my guests and I giggled and went back to bed. When I woke up later, one partigoer had disappeared along with the body of the bird. It's standard practice to fold up someone's bedding when they've lent it, but how do you deal with a dead bird in your hostess's house?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pearl Harbor 75th Anniversary

My dad and I traveled to Honolulu for the 75th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor. The whole week was to be filled with activities ...