I was talking to this lecturer the other day and he was telling me about his experiences in the vet world, from school onwards. He was describing the people that talk for the sake of hearing themselves espouse information and described it as "intellectual masturbation." I thought that was the perfect term for something that I've been battling with for a year and a half now: people who feel the need to prove how smart they are to whoever is around. The purpose of the Socratic method is to provoke thought, not to play academic Mad Libs with people trying to prove their quality. It often carries over in to social setting as well, where the same people speak freely and resolutely about things over which they have obviously thought very little. I wish I had an eject button that I could push and these people would be launched out of my world.
So, that's me venting. Happy days to you all. One thing we learned at our Veterinary Leadership Experience was "don't take yourself so seriously."
Wish more people would remember it...including me.

Here, here!!!
ReplyDelete