03 November 2009

You think you're so clever

To Whom It May Concern,

Every country has its stereotypes. But I think any rational, reasonably open-minded person would agree that you cannot apply the same definition of character or motive to any two people. Yet it appears to be perfectly acceptable in polite society to insult a person's origins and tell them their character right to their face. I speak of the experiences I've had as an American, as we seem to be the target of the day upon which to blame everyone's problems, but I know that we are not alone in it.
Being on the receiving end of such comments is, for me, a little jarring, since it seems to me to be an utterly ridiculous practice. Most of the stereotypes that I'm aware of that are settled on Americans are observed much less frequently actually IN AMERICANS and much MORE frequently in individuals either native to New Zealand or of other origins. I find, in general (there are always exceptions), Americans to be very respectful, curious, non-war mongering, thoughtful individuals who love their country but are grateful and gracious guests in this one. Yet what should be recognized as highly filtered, primarily media and entertainment-based information, with little to no exposure to actual Americans, has filled the heads of some New Zealanders and caused them to forget their manners.
I enjoy a good debate with a well-informed person, but don't come at me with ill-informed generalizations and gross assumptions and think that you're making intelligent social commentary.
If you do, though, I won't respond in kind -- because someone (would it surprise you to know it was an American?) took the time to teach me respect...and some manners.

Sincerely,
Abigail Sine

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Kickass essay, Abby.


    (especially for a fat, ignorant, greedy, hate-mongering, racist Yankee infidel.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I always hear how bad we are viewed but I guess your out there feeling it. I ma glad its you representing us out there and not some fat, ignorant, greedy, hate-mogering, racist, Yankee inffidel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've learned since I wrote this that this sort of behavior is called racism here, whether it's based on color or country.

    ReplyDelete

Pearl Harbor 75th Anniversary

My dad and I traveled to Honolulu for the 75th anniversary of the attacks on Pearl Harbor. The whole week was to be filled with activities ...